Baxter Finley Barber & Shop barber Frank Sariles spoke to Birchbox about his favorite tips & tricks when it comes to styling your hair, picking products and visiting your barber.
1. Start styling hair soon after showering – the earlier you start styling your hair, the easier it will be, and the more control you’ll have. At the very least brush your hair into place—even if it’s just with your hands—so that it dries in the right style.
2. It’s best to style your hair on the drier end as opposed to dripping wet. Drier hair helps prevent diluting the styling product.
3. Make the most of natural curls and waves – products with shine like Hard Water Pomade control them and add to their finishes.
4. Think about hair thickness when picking a styling product – a cream is good for thick hair because it won’t weight it down, a clay is good for fine hair because it won’t separate it.
5. When going in for a cut, don’t wear a hat or use too much product that day. Hair is best when cut in its natural state, and hat hair or gunk can impair your barber’s ability to cut.