Blow drying your hair is one of the best known tricks of the trade for extending the shelf life of your style. Whether it’s a gravity-defying pompadour or a sleek side part, a little pre-planning and a good bit of heat will do wonders for preserving your coif all day long. Our Baxter stylist Nicolas Perez has taken the guess work out of heat styling, breaking it down into easy-to-follow steps.
Step 1 – First thing’s first:
• Towel dry well, removing excess moisture before you start styling.
Step 2 – Choose tools wisely:
• Brushes, combs and fingers make great styling tools but deliver differing results.
Step 3 – Lay the foundation:
• Apply and evenly distribute product evenly, working thoroughly into damp hair. This will allow you to finish off with a product that will help you achieve your desired final look.
Step 4 – Start styling:
• Loose, lived-in pomps need a generous amount of cream pomade. Aim the dryer so it pushes hair on the side of your head down and back for that slick look. Lift the bangs with your fingers, drying from root-to-tip, the more tension you have on the strands, the more lift and volume you’ll achieve.
Step 5 – Finishing touches:
• At the crown or cowlick, aim to get it to lay smooth. Once dry and you’ve achieved the desired shape, apply a finishing product like Hard Water Pomade. With your BoC comb, move hair in the direction you would like to see it, using fingers to loosen and separate hair adding movement and texture.
Other tips to make it easy for you:
Focus on what’s important:
• Maybe it’s the front; it could be volume, a part or even problem areas like a cowlick.
Work with what you got:
• Don’t fight your hair, instead embrace and enhance. Encourage hair to do what it likes to do naturally, allowing your style to last longer with greater appeal.
Aim, tame and style:
• Let the blow dryer do the work for you, it works best when used for shaping rather than just drying.
If at first you don’t succeed:
• Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see the exact results you had in mind. A few minutes a day with a dryer will give you a style that can last all day with minimal upkeep, allowing your products to last longer and reach their full potential.
Practice makes perfect:
• Ask your trusted professional for advice on what styles work best for your hair. They’ll give you the best tips and products for your desired look. They’ll help you to replicate a desired style at home.